The Quebec road network is used every day by drivers and transporters going from points A to B. To ensure the safety of all road users, a set of laws governs driving on the roads and the transportation of goods.

In these laws, there is strict regulation for transporters who carry hazardous materials and dangerous goods. It is important to obey these regulations while sharing the roadway.

In this article, the experts at Enviro Urgence detail what the rules and regulations are for transporting dangerous goods.

Transportation of dangerous goods regulations

Regulations are in place to ensure that hazardous materials can be transported safely. These regulations are primarily used to convey the right information to carriers and to those who must respond to emergencies involving hazardous materials. It is necessary to respect these rules of conduct to ensure the safety of all road users.

1. All transporters must display their permits

To be able to transport hazardous materials in full compliance, a transporter must hold a hazardous material transport permit issued by the Quebec Ministry of Sustainable Development, Environment and Climate Change (in French: Ministère de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques). This permit confirms that the carrier is operating in compliance with the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations

This permit authorizes the holder to transport various types of waste or contaminated soil that poses a threat to human health and the environment. Depending on the equipment used to transport them, these wastes may be solid, liquid or semi-liquid (sludge).

It should be noted that explosive and radioactive waste is subject to extremely strict controls and only a few companies are authorized to transport it.

2. The transporter of hazardous materials must hold a training certificate

Holding a residual hazardous materials permit is not the only requirement for transporting and classifying dangerous goods or contaminated soil

The Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations states that anyone handling or transporting hazardous materials must be properly trained and hold a training certificate or work under the direct supervision of a person who is properly trained and certified.


The shipper shall ensure that persons entrusted with the hazardous materials have received appropriate training and hold a certificate of training or perform such operations in the presence and under the direct supervision of such person. 


 The driver of the vehicle containing the hazardous materials must always carry a copy of their training certificate with them. It is the employer's responsibility to issue this training certificate to any employee who handles or transports hazardous materials.

Shippers and carriers

Both the shipper and the driver must keep a record of training or a statement of experience and a copy of their employee's training certificate from the date of its issuing until two years after its expiration date. If the person is not an employee, they must ensure that they have access to these documents.

3. Comply with the classification of hazardous materials 

 So-called hazardous materials are classified and divided into nine classes based on their type of risk. The shipper must ensure that the classification of hazardous products is given to the transporter by verifying that the material is clearly labelled and descriptive of its Class containment. 

 - Class 1 includes all explosive products that present a risk of explosion, projection or fire with a possible blast

- Class 2 lists the different types of gases (flammable, non-flammable non-toxic, fuel, toxic, anhydrous ammonia)

- Class 3 includes flammable liquids, such as gasoline and diesel

- Class 4 includes flammable solids and water-reactive materials such as safety matches, activated carbon or sodium

- Class 5 involves oxidizing materials and organic peroxides (ammonium nitrate, benzoyl peroxide)

- Class 6 covers toxic and infectious materials such as arsenic, cyanide or rabies virus

- Class 7 covers radioactive materials and nuclear substances

- Class 8 includes corrosive materials such as sulfuric acid

- Class 9 includes various products, materials or organisms such as asbestos and batteries

Entrust the transportation of your hazardous materials to Enviro Urgence

It is the transporter’s duty to ensure that the company or individuals that they entrust with the transportation of their hazardous waste are authorized to do so. To do so, they must verify that the carrier holds a permit for the transportation of residual hazardous materials and that their personnel have the appropriate training certificates.

It is also important to carry out a constant prevention on the handling of hazardous materials and if it is necessary, to call in an industrial cleaning operator from time to time.

If you have hazardous waste that must be transported to a landfill or disposal site, you can entrust us with this task. Our team has all the necessary training, permits and certifications to guarantee safe and compliant management of your hazardous materials. Contact us for a quote!